Ok here is a compilation of all the software and useful tools I’ve come across whilst writing. Some of them I’ve reviewed on here already, more coming soon.
Got an idea? Well get planning! Here’s some useful outlining, brainstorming and mind- mapping software:
- Tree Sheets
- Visual Understanding Environment (VUE)
- Oak Outliner
- Work Flowy
- The Outliner of Giants
Just want to get writing? You want a word processor:
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
- My Writing Spot
- Open Office
Making notes? Here you go:
Timelines giving you a headache? Try these:
Now perhaps you want to organise those notes. Got a lot of research? Character sheets? Images? Well here’s some tools to keep all that together:
Are you easily distracted? The following tools will keep you on track:
Even more productivity tools to help keep you focussed on your task:
- Cold Turkey
- Productivity Owl
- Simple Blocker
- Strict Workflow
- Time Doctor
- Waste No Time
- Website Blocker
So you’ve got something down? Need to edit?
All done? Perhaps you’d like some e-publishing tools:
- Mobipocket Creator
I’m feeling generous, have some more cool stuff:
Enjoy! I may update the list as I find more, or I’ll make a second list.
Do you ever make a graphic and you get at the point where you have to choose a font and think “if only there were some way to get an overview of all the fonts I have already installed”? Well you can. At wordmark.it you just type in any word you want, it then shows that word in every font you have installed on your computer.
So you want to make an OC?: A Masterpost of Ways to Create, Develop, and Make Good OCs!
i made this masterpost in hopes that it helps you in making your own OCs ah;; it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! if you’d like to add more resources then go for it sugar pea (´ヮ`)!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
again, this is to help inspire you or help establish your OCs! i hope you get a lot of info and help from this ahh ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ
- Having a Beginning
- Having an Ending
- But WHERE’S THE MIDDLE?!?
- HOW DO I GET TO THE ENDING
- WHAT IS A PLOT
- WHAT ARE PLOT DETAILS
- WHAT IS WRITING
And most importantly:
- HOW DO I TITLE
I feel like writer’s block isn’t an accurate phrase, it’s more like “Writer’s soul crushing anxiety over creating something worthy of your own impossibly high internal standards.”
the time between posting a fanfic chapter and receiving the first comment on it
How to create a character:
- mash some things together until they resemble a concept
- release the steering wheel
- ??? screaming ????
- rescue what you can from the scene of the accident
This is actually the most accurate description of character creation I have ever read.
Do you ever write a line that just makes you sit back for a second and go
I wrote that
that line is so good
if I was a famous writer hipsters would probably get that tattooed on their biceps, that line’s so good
As promised about four months ago, now that I have hit 200 followers I am going to do a giveaway involving writing stuff!!!
See, now you get to have some pretty cool stuff written by me, if you win this contest!
This stuff can be anything you want, in any format that involves writing; you can check out a lot of my stuff in the “My Writin’ Showcase" tab of my blog, but for the shortlist, I can offer you A Beauty at Rest, December Draws Near, and Holding Something Against Someone to give you some of the typical kind of stuff I like to write (though like I said, it can be anything). Basically, you can either get me to write a cool story, or you can burden me to write something completely terrible as punishment for getting 200 followers (see this for an example of my willingness to accept this kind of thing).
To enter, all you have to do is like and reblog or whatever. I’m not bothering with the following part, but I will only count likes once. Reblogs? Hell if I care how many times you reblog it. Do it like twenty times. I’ll count those because those mean slightly more than likes.
Here are THE PRIZES (The pictures correlate to how exciting the prize should be to you):
(GRAND SUPER PRIZE) 1 WNNER- I will make you any story that you want, a commission worth up to 15,000 words. This is the equivalent of 30 to 35 pages of material!
[This can also be multiple smaller commissions that add to about the same length, of course.]
(ULTRA DELUXE PRIZE) 2 WINNERS- I will make you any story you want, a commission up to 5000 words. This is equivalent of about 10 pages of material. While not as big or grand as the GRAND SUPER PRIZE, ten pages is still a lot to work with!
(3RD PRIZE) 5 WINNERS- I will make a fan fiction starring you interacting with your favorite characters. You will be a self-insert mary sue, based on the description you will give me. The length will vary on how little I care about your fandom.
(CONSOLATION PRIZE) 48 WINNERS- I will send you a message on Tumblr containing an MS Paint drawing of one of the Squiddles from Sandswept, along with a haiku about you from a cursory 30-second reading of your about page. You’ll be so excited to win this. (No you won’t)
(DANGER TIER) 50 WINNERS- You will receive this GIF of Andrew Hussie from Barty Anderson 2, and probably a creepy message underneath, detailing how you are going to die in a Machine of Death-style manner.
(HELL TIER) 3 WINNERS- YOU LOST. YOU ENTERED THE CONTEST AND ENDED UP WITH THE MOST HORRIBLE RESULT: LOSING. YOU WILL RECEIVE A PENALTY WORSE THAN EVEN WINNING NOTHING.
I dunno if you’re seeing this, but this means there are a total of 106 prizes! (and 3 losers) That’s a lot!
I will choose the winners on March 9th, 2014, which savants may know as the 6th anniversary of Super Smash Bros. Brawl in North America. You will be contacted shortly thereafter if you have won.
So spread the word, and pray you get to win.
Plotting by J.L. Bell
It’s so beautiful.
THIS IS MAGNIFICENT MY GODS